On this page we narrow down the search for the best Florida fishing gear in many categories. For us, having the best gear we can afford is so important.
It often means the difference between a successful outing, a successful trip, or even a successful year. It can be hard to spend more money than you though was necessary, but the return on your investment will be HAPPINESS. Really, that’s what it comes down to.
Buy what you can afford, but make it good. Choose something from this list and you have a much better chance of success and happiness while fishing our amazing waterways.
Check out our Amazon FISHING GEAR STORE here.
Best All-Purpose Fishing Rod and Spinning Reel (Fish under 20 lbs.)
- Under $40 â€“ We couldn’t find any decent rod/reel combo for this price. Sorry, we won’t recommend junk.
- Under $80 â€“ Mitchell Combo 1 | Quantum Combo 1
- Under $100 â€“ UGLY STIK Combo
- The Best All-around Rod/Reel â€“ This PENN Reel + This 6.5 foot Carbon UGLY STIK Rod
Best All-Around Spinning Reel (Fish under 20 lbs.)
- Under $50 â€“ Penn Reel 1 | Abu Garcia Reel 1 â€“ Reel 2
- Under $130 â€“ Penn Reel 1 | Abu Garcia Reel 1
- The Best All-around Reel â€“ THIS PENN is the best spinning reel I’ve used.
Best All-Around Baitcasting Reel and Rod (Fish under 20 lbs.)
- Under $40 â€“
- Under $80 â€“
- Under $130 â€“ Abu Garcia Combo 1
- The Best All-around Reel â€“
Best All-Around Baitcasting Reel (Fish under 20 lbs.)
Best Heavy-Duty Spinning Reel (Fish over 20 lbs.)
- Under $100 â€“ PENN Reel 1
- Under $180 â€“ PENN Reel 1 (CLASH!)
- The Best All-around Reel â€“ This PENN Reel
Best Heavy-Duty Baitcasting Reel (Fish over 20 lbs.)
- Under $130 â€“ PENN Reel 1 (Battle)
- Under $220 â€“ PENN Reel 1 (SQUAL)
- The Best All-around Reel â€“ PENN Reel 1
Best Braided Fishing Line
- 8 lb to 65 lb Test â€“ PPRO LINE
- 10 lb to 25 lb Test â€“ SWIRE LINE
- The ultimate CLEAR Braided line â€“ SWIRE TRANSLUCENT LINE | Berkley Vanish LINE
- Read more HERE about the best braided fishing lines.
Best Hooks (Chemically sharpened and Ultra Sharp)
- Gamakatsu – I’ve been using these hooks since they first started making them. Or rather, the first day I saw them at the Walmart!
- Mustad – In truth, I didn’t use these for years because I was so happy with Gamakatsu. Then I couldn’t find my main hooks and tried them. Amazing and very strong hooks as well.
- Owner – My third choice for hooks, but that means they are still very strong and quality controlled to a high degree. Love them.
Artificial Lures for Specific Florida Fish
Working on this section, will take a while to research the links for all these.
Drag any small lure through the water. THESE work great.
Silver Spoon | Gold Spoon | DOA Shrimp
DOA Shrimp | Rapala ______ |
Big floating plugs work great. Here’s my USUAL Tarpon Lure.
- Under $120 â€“ Garmin 3.5″ Screen
- HUK 50 SPF Fishing Shirt |
- Hat 1 – multi-color
How to Choose Fishing Gear? See here.
Florida Saltwater Fishing Guides
Amberjack, Black Drum, Bluefish, Cobia, Dorado (Dolphin, Mahi-mahi), Speckled Trout, Grouper, Gulf Flounder, Jack Crevalle, Lobster, Permit, Pompano, Red-bellied Pacu, Redfish, Redfish Index, Shark Fishing, Sheepshead, Snapper, Snook, Tarpon, Tarpon, Tripletail. Donâ€™t miss our new SHARK Fishing Guide.